Updating Veeva OpenData subscriptions
As your data requirements change, you can update your subscriptions; for example, add or remove HCP and HCO specialty filters, filter parent HCOs, enable Veeva OpenData fields, and so on.
After the initial implementation, a delta export is downloaded each time a subscription runs. This means that records are downloaded only if they have been added or changed by OpenData since the last time the subscription ran.
To download additional records the next time your subscription runs (instead of waiting for the records to trickle down into your Network instance as OpenData makes changes to those records), edit your country subscription and use these options:
Add HCP or HCO filters - If you add filters to subscribe to additional records, when you save the subscription there is an option to download all records that meet the new filter criteria the next time the job runs. The option is selected by default, but it can be cleared if you do not want to download a potentially large number of records. After the records are downloaded, the next time the subscription job runs, it goes back to the usual delta export behavior.
Note that if you update your OpenData subscription filters and restrict the records that you receive from Veeva OpenData, any records that used to meet the filters are not removed from your Network instance.
Add records to your working set - To force the new records in your working set to be downloaded, use the Update all records setting in the country subscription.
Subscribe to record components - When you enable a field-level subscription (for example, Email Addresses) or an OpenData field, the new data is included in the OpenData delta export only if the record has been changed by OpenData. You can request updates for specific records from Veeva OpenData. During the targeted job, all available updates for the record are pushed to your Network instance. For more information, see Request targeted record updates.
Note: Using the Update all records setting will not necessarily download the new data; if the version number of the record in your Network instance is the same as the version number in the most recent full export from OpenData, no updates will occur even if your record doesn't have the latest data.
To update a subscription for a particular country:
- In the Admin console, select System Interfaces > Veeva OpenData Subscriptions.
On the Veeva OpenData Subscriptions page, click a country name. The country name displays as a hyperlink only if the subscription is enabled.
The country subscription page opens.
Working Set FTP - The FTP path to the working set A list of Network entity IDs (VIDs) in a file that determines the initial data set to download from a master instance to a customer instance. for the subscription. The FTP path cannot be edited.
The working set is a file that lists all of the Network HCO or HCP IDs (VIDs) that you want to download to your Network instance. This is typically used in your initial implementation. Only the records that are listed in the working set are downloaded; HCOs related to the HCPs in the Working Set will only be downloaded if the VID of the HCO is specifically listed.
Note: The working set should not be updated on an ad-hoc basis; use the HCP/HCO filters or ad hoc download jobs to subscribe to additional records.
- Health Care Professional - To subscribe to additional HCP records to download to your Network instance, select the Subscribe to additional Veeva OpenData HCP records option.
- Click + Add Condition.
- In the Field list, choose Types or Specialties. The field values are reference types.
- In the Condition list, choose Contain or Does not contain.
- In the Value list, select all of the values for the filter. Start typing to find a specific value. The values in the list map to the reference codes assigned to the selected reference type.
In this example, only prescribers who specialize in thoracic surgery will be downloaded from Veeva OpenData.
Tip: You can also use the filters to exclude records (by specialty and type) that you do not want downloaded to your Network instance from Veeva OpenData.
If multiple master support is enabled in your Network instance, any HCP types that are owned by a third party data provider are automatically excluded from the Value list to ensure that they are not selected. To review any types owned by third party providers, click the See excluded HCP types below link.
Health Care Organization - Subscibe to additional HCO records or prevent unwanted Parent HCOs from being downloaded to your instance.
Subscribe to additional Veeva OpenData HCO records - Select to subscribe and download additional HCO records. You can also use the filters to exclude records (by specialty and type) that you do not want downloaded to your Network instance. The fields and values map to the reference types and codes.
Filter Parent HCOs during Ad Hoc Download and Data Change Requests - Select to filter unwanted Parent HCOs from being added to your Network instance when data change requests are processed or when users are syncing or downloading Veeva OpenData records, select . For more information, see Filtering Parent HCO records.
To subscribe to additional records, or filter unwanted Parent HCOs, complete the following steps:
- Click + Add Condition.
- In the Field list, choose Types or Specialties.
- In the Condition list, choose Contain or Does not contain.
- In the Value list, select all of the values for the filter. Start typing to find a specific value.
In this example, Parent HCOs that specialize in acute care will not be downloaded from Veeva OpenData.
If multiple master support is enabled in your Network instance, any HCO types that are owned by a third party data provider are automatically excluded from the Value list to ensure that they are not selected. To review any types owned by third party providers, click the See excluded HCO types below link.
Parent HCO - Choose the level of parent affiliations that are downloaded. By default, five levels of Parent HCOs are downloaded. This setting applies to add requests, change requests, Ad Hoc Download, and Sync with OpenData actions. It does not apply to the working set or filters; parent affiliations are not downloaded during scheduled jobs.
Download repointed Parent HCOs - Download Parent HCOs that have been changed by Veeva OpenData but do not meet your filter criteria. For information, see Updating repointed Parent HCOs.
Additional OpenData Parent HCO Records - Download Parent HCOs that are related to the OpenData HCOs and HCPs that are already downloaded to your Network instance.
When Veeva OpenData country subscriptions run, parent HCOs are not downloaded; parent HCOs are only downloaded during ad hoc download jobs. Use this option to download those missing Parent HCOs so you have complete relationships in your instance.
Parent HCOs will be downloaded in a separate job after the country subscription runs. For more information, see Downloading OpenData parent HCOs.
Updates to OpenData records -Select Update all records if you want to update all of your records to the latest version the next time the subscription runs.Important: After the Update all records checkbox has been selected, it cannot be cleared until after the next job runs.
Each time your subscription runs, only the records that have been changed in OpenData since the last time the subscription ran are included. This means that records in your working set will trickle into your Network instance as they are changed by OpenData, so some of them might not be downloaded to your Network instance. When you select Update all records, all of the records in your working set are forced to be downloaded and any records that you have already downloaded will be updated to their latest version.Considerations for updates
If the version number for the record in your Network instance and the full export is the same, no updates occur even if the record in your Network instance doesn't have the latest data. For example, if you enable the email subscription for a country, emails will only be exported as OpenData makes changes to records.
- To receive the updates when you subscribe to new data subscriptions, you can request updates for specific records from Veeva OpenData. During the targeted job, all available updates for the record are pushed to your Network instance. To learn more about this feature, see Request updates to OpenData records.
Note: The next time the job runs, either manually or on a schedule, the updates will be completed and this setting will be reset automatically; Network will clear the checkbox. There is no need to return to the OpenData subscription to manually clear the Update all records setting before the next job runs.
- Merge Sync (China subscriptions only) - Define a schedule for restricting merges from Veeva OpenData. For more information, see Controlling merges.
Field Level Subscriptions - Select any additional subscriptions that Veeva OpenData offers in that country.
The following subscriptions are available:
- Include Email Addresses - Receive email address updates from Veeva OpenData. For existing customers where email addresses are available in Veeva OpenData, this checkbox is selected by default. For new customers who have just signed up for the Veeva OpenData email subscription, this checkbox is not enabled by default. For more information, see Veeva OpenData email addresses.
- Include Digital Affinity Scores - Receive a score that indicates an HCP's affinity for consuming digital data. Available for the United States. For more information see Digital Affinity Score data subscription.
Include HIN data - Receive Health Industry Number (HIN) IDs. Available for the United States. For more information, see HIN data.
- Include NCPDP Data - Receive National Council for Prescription Drug Programs (NCPDP) IDs for HCOs. For more information, see NCPDP data.
- Include AMA data - This subscription controls the behavior of the fields depending on your agreement with the AMA. US OpenData subscriptions will not include after December 31, 2021. For more information, see Veeva OpenData AMA subscription.
- Geo Subdivision Data - Subscribe to Geo subdivision data for addresses. Available for France, Hungary, Monaco, and Russia.
- Geo Subdivision 2 Data - Subscribe to Geo subdivision data for addresses. Available for Hungary and Russia.
- Include CIP ID Data - Subscribe to Club Inter Pharmaceutique (CIP) data. Available for Andorra, France, and Monaco.
To subscribe to these additional offerings, contact a Veeva OpenData representative.
Important: Before selecting any of these options, ensure that any locally managed data that currently uses these fields is backed up using target subscriptions. Locally managed data will be overwritten when Veeva OpenData begins to manage the field.
Handling of OpenData Opt-Outs - Automatically convert records that have been opted-out by HCPs into locally managed records.
The option is disabled by default. Select the option if you want to start managing future opted-out records so you can retain the record history and continue to engage with the HCP.
For more information, see Converting opt-outs from OpenData into local records.
Add requests routing to Veeva OpenData - Route add requests for specific HCP or HCO types to your local data stewards.
This is helpful if you use any Veeva-owned HCP or HCO types for local records so those add requests can be processed locally. In the HCP or HCO section, click Add Exceptions to Add Request Routing to define the type.
By default, all HCP and HCO types are routed to Veeva OpenData unless it is a custom type or a type managed by a third party data provider.
Note: This section displays only if this feature is enabled in your Network instance. For more information, see Routing add requests.
Veeva OpenData Fields - This section displays if a new field has been added in that country.
In the Available Fields column, expand the entity or sub-object to view the new fields.
Select the field and click the Right Arrow icon to move the field into the Selected Fields column.
For more information, see Enabling Veeva OpenData fields.
Note: All Veeva OpenData fields are mastered by default in new Network instances, so all fields will display in the Selected Fields pane. When new fields are introduced, you can add them to the Selected Fields pane.
- Excluded Record Types - This section displays if you have multiple master support enabled in your Network instance. Any HCO/HCP types that are owned by third party data providers display in this section and are excluded from the lists in the HCO and HCP subscription section. This section is for reference only.
When you filter HCO and HCP subscriptions for Veeva OpenData, Network also cross-references the HCO/HCP types that are defined for third party data sources before downloading any records.
Your Veeva OpenData subscription for France is filtered to download HCP records that specialize in cardiology. In your Network instance, you have already confirmed a third party data source to master records for prescribers (HCP type) for France. When a subscription runs, Network cross-references the filters. Because prescribers are owned by the third party data source, Network will not download any prescribers who specialize in cardiology in France from Veeva OpenData.
Job Trigger Configuration - Define the schedule for the job and any subsequent actions that will start when this job finishes.
Job Schedule - define the schedule for the subscription (if not set to Manual). You can set a schedule for the subscription similarly to other subscriptions in Network.
Job Triggers - Trigger other actions to start after a job runs.
- Send email - Specify users that should be notified for successful and unsuccessful job outcomes.
- Start a job - Start a subsequent job when this job successfully completes.
For more information, see Subscription job triggers.
- Save your changes.
A pop-up displays to confirm your changes. If you have changed HCP and HCO filters, the option to download additional records is selected by default. Clear the option if you do not want the next job to include all of the records that meet your new criteria.
Click Save Changes.
Tip: Refresh your web browser page after making changes to the OpenData subscription.
If you changed HCP or HCO filters, a message displays at the top of the subscription to notify users that the filters have been changed and additional records may be downloaded the next time the subscription job runs. After the job runs, the message is removed.
Country subscriptions for all records
If you purchase all OpenData records for a particular country and you have specifically requested to have all records downloaded to your instance, the country subscription page indicates these details.
The page also does not include the section for the Working Set and the Health Care Professional and Health Care Organization sections because there is no need to maintain a working set or HCO/HCP filters.
You can continue to manage the parent HCOs that are downloaded, additional field level subscriptions (for example, Email and Geo Subdivision), and Veeva OpenData fields.